The museum was renovated from the autonomy house built in 1936 as a guesthouse and banquet hall to the Japanese royal family and high ranking officers. The landscape and interior design had an atmosphere of leisure residency and matched the subtle character of glass art. After Taiwan’s restoration, the building was occupied by the Takeover Committee, American army consultant allegation, and military police station, consequently. Since the function of the building was changing according to the needs of the residents, the interior compartment had changed dramatically. The two stories concrete building annex to the north eastern corner of the main building had evolved from the horizontal court building of European style to the vertical development official building. Nevertheless, this museum still maintains European style with contemporary Oriental architecture by the brick wall erected on the south western side and the classic image of the lobby.
Situated at the north western of Hsinchu Park, the museum was officially opened on December 18th ,1999. The total floorage is about 1900 square meter including an arcade (43.5 square meters) and basement (48.5 square meters). There is a small courtyard between two buildings (new and old ). The main structure was designed by architect SEIGO TEJIMA of Civil Engineering, Construction and Building Section, Hsinchu State. It can be divided into the European-style oblique roof and reinforced brick construction pasted with face bricks that were completed in 1936, as well as the reinforced concrete building with modern-style flat roof of shattered-stone wall face.
The revival and utilization project of the autonomy house and exhibition plan were depute to Ji-Nan architect firm and professor K.N.Chen. The plan considered the needs of different users as well as the five services provided by the museum “administration, exhibition, collection, education, and public service”. It also next to many leisure resorts such as Confucius Temple, Zoo, gymnasium, and holiday market of flower.
The mission of the museum is to link resources of culture and tourism, assist the upgrading of Hsinchu glass industry, introduce glass industry to the people and dealers of its development and application.
A NPO associates with the industry.